Have you ever heard the saying ‘the best thing since the invention of sliced bread?’ If not, it’s a thing, but I am sure you heard it at least once in your life. That is because sliced bread was some kind of breakthrough, although it’s such a simple thing. Few people slice their own bread nowadays, which is why some grocery stores don’t even have the unsliced kind.
When I was a child, my mother always gave me the task of slicing bread when she was about to serve the food. I hated it. I couldn’t do it right, and I usually ended up ruining the bread. But now I realize that it wasn’t my fault. It was the knife that was to blame. We didn’t have a bread knife asI have now. And that can be more important than you may think.
Why you should own a bread knife
Usually, when they are shopping for kitchen utensils, people overlook the bread knife. That is mostly because they don’t buy unsliced bread. However, if you know your bread a little bit, then you know how important it is to own a high-quality serrated knife. There is a hugedifference between such a knife and a regular one.
From where I stand, there are two main reasons you should buy a bread knife.
- You can pick the top of the line bread knife, it still is relatively I bet you purchased and usually buy things you don’t need, so why wouldn’t you buy something that you may need one day?
- You can enjoy the crustiest loaf of bread on the planet. That can only be sliced with a knife bread. If you try another knife, the load will transform into a flat cake. And while you can perfectly slice a hard crust on bread, you can also cut the softest bagel known to man and still not turn it into crumbles.
As the years passed, I tried several bread knives. Some of them gave me the impression that there will never be a better serrated knife, while others spent only 2 days in the drawer. But since then I learned which design I prefer, so it’s all clear to me.
Since the bread knife is a utensil on the verge of extinction, you should know that it has some benefits that you may not know about. Here are a few.
- You can cut through rough crusts and soft bagels with the same knife. I already told you that slicing bread with a regular knife will entirely ruin the loaf.
- A high-quality serrated knife will save you a lot of frustration. Slicing bread is not the most entertaining activity, and it can be rather boring. Try doing it with an inadequate You may end up in anger management therapy.
- It’s multi-purpose. You can use it to cut whatever has a rough exterior and a soft interior, such as melons. The serrated knife can also be used to carve meat in a pinch. As long as it works, you can use it on anything. A serrated knife will handle anything you put in front of it.
I don’t know how may bread you sliced in your life, but have you ever tried a chef’s knife? It will squish the loaf in a second. The blade is not suited for bread. It may work wonders on vegetables, but when it comes to bread, it’s completely useless, no matter how good you sharpened it.
How to choose the best bread knife
The first step is knowing what you expect from a knife. As long as you know what you want, making a decision should be easy. If you know nothing about the subject, here is what you should look at.
- Serrated blade – a knife is not a bread knife unless it has a serrated blade. Only that can go through the crusty exterior of a loaf and the soft interior without damaging it. The knives that have a straight blade, also known as flat blades, are no use in these circumstances. You can try all you want, and you can go as slow as you want, it will not make a difference. A serrated blade is what you’re looking for.
- Length – not everyone wants a long I don’t like the very long ones. It cannot be short either because you need it to cover the entire width of the bread. That way you will slice evenly. The usual advice is to purchase a bread knife that is a bit longer than the usual bread is wider. It’s not bad advice, but not all loafs are created equal. If you like one of those big, round loafs of bread, then there is no escaping a long bread knife.
- Material – my favorite metal in the kitchen is stainless steel. Not for pots, obviously, because it’s a poor heat conductor, but it’s perfect for everything else. Bread knives included. However, there are other materials that aregood for knives, such as high carbon steel, and high carbon stainless steel. The high carbon steel is one of the strongest metals. It’s the most sturdy of the three I mentioned, which means it will maintain its sharpness for a very long time. However, it rusts pretty easily so you cannot put it in the dishwasher. Stainless steel will not rust, you can throw it in the dishwasher, but it will not stay sharp for very long. Sharpening it at home may prove to be difficult if you don’t have a particular tool. Lastly, the high carbon stainless steel is a mix of the previous two. It has characteristics of both metals. It is sturdy, will not rust as quickly, but it’s not as strong as high carbon. It won’t stay sharp for longer either.
- Flexibility – all knives should have an immovable blade. That is because you use a big amount of pressure when you use it. A fixed blade will ensure safety, and you don’t have to worry that it will snap in two. However, when it comes to bread knives, it’s the exact opposite. It needs to be as flexible as you want. That is because you do not exert pressure when you slice bread or bagels. You let the knife do the work while you push and pull without pushing down. Just make sure that the blade is not too flexible. Otherwise, you may cut uneven slices.
What are the best bread knives?
For me, it’s easy to decide. I tried multiple models over the years, I know which design I prefer, so choosing the best knife is easy from where I stand. However, not everyone is experienced when it comes to this, which is why I am going to give you three remarkable suggestions.
Orblue Stainless Steel Serrated Bread Slicer
This is one of the knives I actually tested, and it left me with a positive impression. It’s very sharp and the serrated blade grips and cuts without tearing. It’s made out of stainless steel, so I don’t know for how long the sharpness lasts, but at first, the knife cuts very fast. Of course, knife sharpeners are not difficult things to find. Stainless steel is my favorite metal because it’s strong, durable, it doesn’t rust, and it’s easy to clean. The Orblue is precisely that.
The length of the blade is 8 inches, which is somewhere in the middle. Any longer than that and it’s uncomfortable, and a too short one will cut the bread unevenly. 8 inches is a good choice. The thickness of the blade is only 2.2 and 0.1. It doesn’t create very much friction, which leads to uniform slices.
You can use this knife for almost anything. It’s perfect for cake slicing, bread, pastries, bagels, and even fruit like pineapple and tomatoes. You can cut whatever you feel comfortable with. The one piece design ensures that the knife will not break. Poorly constructed knives usually lose the handle, but not the Orblue. There is no plastic, no wood parts and there isn’t a single screw in it. The handle is very comfortable, which makes handling the knife convenient. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Mercer Culinary Millenia 10-Inch Wide Bread Knife
I actually own this knife, and I am pretty satisfied with it. I chose it for shallow reasons, but when I got it, it proved to be a high-quality bread knife. I only use it on large loafs of bread because it’s 10 inches long, and it does an excellent job. The shallow reason I was telling you about is color. I have a colorful kitchen, and I keep my knives on a magnetic band mounted on the wall. A purple knife looks great in there. You can find it in multiple colors, and some of them have two colors. They have a beautiful design, but let’s not forget that it can cut pretty good as well.
The handle has an ergonomic design. It is made of a combination of Santoprene and polypropylene. The first one is for comfort and the second is for durability. The textured finger points are slip-resistant, which ensures a safe and stable grip. The protective finger guard makes sure that your fingers will not sleep forward and cut yourself. I have to admit that the handle is a bit big for my hands, but I have tiny hands. A person with normal-sized hands should not have any issues handling this knife.
The Millenia bread knife is made of Japanese high carbon stainless steel. After you wash it, make sure to wipe it dry so it wouldn’t rust. The construction is durable because it has a one-piece design. Maintenance is not difficult to achieve as long as you have the right sharpener. Overall, the Millenia is a pretty good knife, and I recommend it. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Victorinox Swiss Army 10.25-Inch Fibrox Pro Curved Bread Knife
The Victorinox bread knife may be a little more expensive (not a little, it has the same cost as the other two combined,) but if you can afford it, it would be a shame not to buy it. I already have several bread knives, but I am very tempted. The serrated knife is as gentle as it can be. It will slice through bread, but also through anything that has a tender interior without smashing anything.
The blade is slightly curved. That provides comfort when you slice. If you like to cut with a rocking motion, your knuckles will be safe. Handling the Victorinox is quite easy, and it has a great balance that makes cutting almost effortless. It was designed in Switzerland, and Victorinox has been manufacturing high-quality knives since 1884. You can imagine the experience behind the blade.
The manufacturer recommends this knife to professionals who work with knives all day every day, but I don’t see a reason you couldn’t use it. Unless you are a clumsy person. Only then I would recommend a less sharp knife. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Although I long for the Victorinox bread knife, my number one recommendation is the Orblue Stainless Steel Serrated Bread Slicer. From my point of view, it’s perfect. It has the one-piece design, it’s made of stainless steel, and it’s quite affordable. In my opinion, the Orblue is one of the best bread knives I have ever come across.
People usually underestimate the value of a high-quality bread knife. Since I love making homemade bread, I slice bread every single day, and I find some comfort in it. I cannot explain it, but I appreciate my knives more than I should. However, I am 100% confident that I would not enjoy that as much if I had a bad knife. So choose one of the three and give it a go. Only then you will learn to appreciate the value of a good knife. Click here to buy on Amazon
- The Long Bread Knife Cover Up
- What Does Serrated Kitchen Knife Mean?
- Top Offset Serrated Knife Guide!
- What You Need to Do About Bread Knives Serrated Before You Miss Your Chance
- What Does Shun Bread Knife Mean?
- Top Tips of Bread Cutting Knife
- The Victorinox Bread Knife Diaries
- The Rise of Serrated Bread Knife
- Wusthof Bread Knife Reviews & Guide
- The Indisputable Truth About Global Bread Knife That No One Is Sharing With You
- Why Nobody Is Discussing Serrated Knife and What You Need to Do Today
- Why Everybody Is Talking About Bread Knife…The Simple Truth Revealed
- What You Can Do About Cutlery Sets Starting in the Next Nine Minutes
- The Biggest Myth About Ceramic Knife Exposed
- The Argument About Henkel Knives
- Understanding Japanese Bread Knife
- Un-Answered Issues With Chef Knife Disclosed
- Classified Information About Henckels Knife Set Only the Pros Know About
- The Importance of Knife Block Set
- A Deadly Mistake Uncovered on Shun Knife Set and How to Avoid It
- The Insider Secrets for Global Knife Set Discovered
- The Argument About Best Serrated Bread Knife
- Using Calphalon Knives
- New Step by Step Roadmap for Electric Knife
- Wusthof Knife Block – Overview
- Details of Knife Block
- The Steak Knives Game
- The Debate Over Wusthof Steak Knives
- Things You Should Know About Knife Sharpener
- Who Else Wants to Learn About Kitchen Knife Set?
- Offset Bread Knife Tips & Guide
- The Insider Secret on Best Bread Knife in the World Discovered
- Reliable Tips for Good Bread Knife That You Can Begin to Use Today
- The Secret of Wusthof Classic 10 Inch Bread Knife That No One Is Talking About
- The Indisputable Truth About Electric Bread Knife That Nobody Is Sharing With You